Imagine for a minute what it would feel like not to worry about food and instead eat what you like, when you like. Or not fret about exercise and instead move your body simply because it feels good.
Picture yourself living the life you want—swimming at the beach, having fun with friends at a barbeque— feeling healthy and happy in your body without thinking you must lose weight to get there.
It feels almost unimagingable doesn’t it?
I used to feel the same way. I was convinced that the ONLY way I could be content was if I lost weight (and kept it off).
So I did just that.
I got to work and eventually became a weight loss ‘success story.’ But, keeping the weight off was like holding a beach ball under water—in the beginning not so hard, but over time, it began to completely wear me out. The slightest “slip” and the weight would come back on. It was a constant battle; one that ate away at my confidence and energy, slowly taking over my life.
Keeping the weight off became a full time job; one with a bullying, perfectionistic, judgy boss (me).
I was tired, anxious, and desperate, and I knew I couldn’t live the rest of my life like that. The thought of a future full of constant restriction and punishing exercise felt horrible.
Slowly but surely, I started to realize that happiness was never going to be found by my wearing a size X jeans, but rather, in fully accepting body and loving myself.
Amidst the highs and lows of that difficult journey came another important discovery: I needed the support of others who had been through this and came out the other side.
Life is incredibly different now. I have a newfound freedom and level of self-acceptance that I thought the weight loss would give me (but ultimately didn't).
I believe—and am living proof—that our lives can be full, fun, and free when we’re not spending all of our time and energy focused on "fixing" our bodies, and I cannot wait to help you experience that for yourself!
My training includes:
- Certified Integrative Life Coach, trained by The Ford Institute
- Degree in Health Studies and Sociology from McMaster University
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Experienced facilitator of The Work of Byron Katie, having twice attended The School for The Work
I also advocate for and share this perspective of health and wellness as professional speaker, having presented at national conferences on the subjects of body acceptance and health from a weight-neutral perspective.
If you’ve read up to this point, I want to say I’m so glad you’re here, because it shows me you KNOW you’re meant to live a life that is joyful, healthy, and true to you.
And I’m telling you —it’s absolutely possible.
Some other things you might want to know about me, for your reading enjoyment!
- I'm a Body Image Movement Global Ambassador.
- I’m a bit of a thrill-seeker: I’ve skydived, bungee jumped, ice climbed a glacier, and love a good roller coaster!
- I’ve been to Ireland 5 times (it was a phase, but so much to love!)
- I can binge watch a TV series with the best of them - I think my record is 12 hours (should I be sharing this?)
- I worked on a cruise ship. I think ship life would make for a fascinating sociological study…
- Organizing and cleaning brings me peace - when I was 7 years old I once cleaned my friend’s room for “fun”, (she did not think it was fun, but her Mom sure liked me!)